Britain's Network Rail Launches International Rail Consultancy and Forms Strategic Alliance with CH2M HILL
July 11, 2012
Network Rail, the owner and operator of Britain’s railway infrastructure, has launched an international rail consultancy business.
Network Rail Consulting will harness the vast range of skills and experience available within Network Rail to demonstrate British expertise overseas and be an international ambassador for Britain’s rail industry. It will also help channel innovation back into Network Rail’s core business, helping deliver a better value railway for Britain.
The move is part of a wider reform agenda at Network Rail, which has seen the company move towards a devolved group structure to drive further efficiencies and demonstrate value through market competition.
David Higgins, chief executive of Network Rail, said: “Our vision is to be a world-class independent British-based infrastructure group that is internationally respected for providing rail services and solutions that deliver outstanding value, responsibly.
“Since the privatization of the rail industry, Britain has not had a national rail champion operating in the international market. Network Rail has the depth and breadth of rail experience and knowledge to promote British expertise overseas and become a valuable international ambassador for our rail industry and for UK plc.
“By proving ourselves in the international market, Network Rail will be able to demonstrate that it is a modern, efficient and competitive company.”
Network Rail Consulting has been created as a subsidiary of Network Rail. It will operate outside the UK, offering consultancy services across the full spectrum of Network Rail’s expertise:
- Strategic planning
- Asset management
- Operations and maintenance
- Capital projects
Network Rail Consulting has formed a strategic alliance with CH2M HILL, a leading program management, design, design-build, construction and operations consultancy, to pursue opportunities in the U.S. transit and rail market. The geographic focus of Network Rail Consulting is centered on those countries, such as the U.S. and India, with large, aging rail infrastructure in need of modernization – an area in which Network Rail has vast experience.
In addition, there will also be opportunities to team with other consultants elsewhere. Markets where Network Rail Consulting would be able to carry out work as sub-consultant to alliance partners include Brazil, northern Europe, the Middle East, the Far East and Australia.
Nigel Ash, managing director of Network Rail Consulting, said: “Network Rail has internationally-valuable experience in developing innovative and pioneering approaches in asset management, and the successful delivery of large and complex capital projects, such as the Kings Cross redevelopment and the first stage of Thameslink. In addition, we look after one of the most heavily used railways in the world, on largely Victorian infrastructure. Despite these challenges, our railway carries more people on more trains than ever before, with improving levels of punctuality.
“We believe we have much to offer international clients and look forward to working alongside our partners to demonstrate the best of British engineering and ingenuity overseas.”
Mark Thurston, European transport business group director at CH2M HILL, said: “This collaboration brings together CH2M HILL's expertise in program management and delivery of some of the world’s most complex projects with Network Rail’s extensive knowledge of developing and managing railway infrastructure, which offers clients an unrivalled partnership to deliver innovative and practical solutions for the asset management and enhancement of the railways in North America.”
About Network Rail Consulting
The board of directors of Network Rail Consulting comprises Simon Kirby (chairman), Nigel Ash and Patrick Butcher.
Network Rail Consulting is selling the full range of rail expertise within Network Rail including:
- Advisory: Re-structuring, privatisation, institutional, policy development and reviews, audits, procurement, bid support, rail operations including retail optimisation.
- Strategic Planning: Transport master plans, market assessments, demand forecasting, project appraisal and route utilisation strategies.
- Asset Management: Developing conceptual asset management frameworks, route asset management plans.
- Operations & Maintenance: Practical operating advice, timetabling and simulation modelling, maintenance regimes and outsourced operate and maintain contracts.
- Infrastructure Projects: Outputs definition, pre-feasibility, feasibility, project and program management.
About CH2M HILL
Headquartered near Denver, Colorado, USA, employee-owned CH2M HILL (www.ch2mhill.com, twitter.com/ch2mhill
) is a global leader in consulting, design, design-build, operations, and program management for government, civil, industrial and energy clients. The firm’s work is concentrated in the areas of water, transportation, environmental, energy, facilities and resources. With US$6.4 billion in revenue and 30,000 employees, CH2M HILL is a leader in sustainable engineering as named by Verdantix. The firm has been named a FORTUNE 100 Best Companies to Work For five times. For the last eight years, CH2M HILL has been ranked as the #1 program management firm by Engineering News-Record
, and is currently ranked # 4 in transportation and #6 in mass transit and rail.
Some of CH2M HILL’s iconic transportation programs include:
- Panama Canal Expansion Program: The expansion of the Panama Canal is considered one of the largest and most visible projects of this century, just as its original construction was in the last century. CH2M HILL is assisting the Autoridad del Canal de Panamá (Panama Canal Authority) in the program management of the Panama Canal Expansion project, which will add a third set of locks to the historic waterway.
- Toronto Metrolinx: CH2M HILL is providing programme management/owner’s engineer services to Metrolinx for the first 5 years of the 10-year, $9.6-billion transit modernization program. The program in metropolitan Toronto is the largest public transit investment in Canadian history.
- Philadelphia Airport Capacity Enhancement Program: The Global Program Partners joint venture, comprised of CH2M HILL, Delon Hampton & Associates, and CMTS, Inc., has been selected by the City of Philadelphia, Division of Aviation to manage the $6.4-billion Capacity Enhancement Program at the Philadelphia International Airport. This is the largest new aviation program in the United States as well as one of the most complex.